SAGE APCs for open access publishing
ABOUT THE AGREEMENT
EIFL has negotiated waived and discounted Article Processing Charges (APCs) for authors from EIFL partner countries when they publish in a fully open access (Gold) journal.
In addition, all eligible corresponding authors from institutions in Latvia, Lithuania and Slovenia whose institutions have signed a read & publish agreement can publish for free, at no APC cost, in SAGE Choice hybrid journals.
Terms & Conditions
Below are the agreed terms:
- Waived article processing charges for fully open access (Gold) journals:
- Waived article processing charges for Gold open access journals - no fees for corresponding authors from: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Botswana, Congo, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lesotho, Malawi, Maldives, Moldova, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, North Macedonia, Palestine, Senegal, Serbia, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Zambia, Zimbabwe. View the title list here.
- 20% discount for fully open access (Gold) journals for corresponding authors from the below affiliated institutions in Estonia:
- Estonia: Academic Library of Tallinn University, Tartu University, Tallinn University of Technology (SAGE Premier 2023 collection (view the title list here).
- 20% discount for fully open access (Gold) and no fees for SAGE Choice hybrid journals for corresponding authors from the below affiliated institutions that signed the read & publish agreement in Latvia, Lithuania and Slovenia. (Note, the title list of SAGE Choice hybrid journals might differ, depending on the institution's SAGE Premier collection subscription. Also, note, that some of journals do not participate in SAGE Choice, please see the list of those journals here.)
- Latvia: University of Latvia, Riga Stradins University (SAGE Premier 2023 collection (view the title list here).
- Lithuania : European Humanities University, General Jonas Žemaitis Lithuanian Military Academy, Kaunas University of Technology, Klaipeda State College, Klaipėda University, LCC International University, Lithuanian Sports University, Lithuanian University of Health Sciences, Mykolas Romeris University, Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Vilnius University, Vytautas Magnus University (SAGE Premier 2016 collection (view the title list here).
- Slovenia: Univerza na Primorskem, University of Ljubljana, University of Maribor, Scientific Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Urban Planning Institute for the Republic of Slovenia, Educational Research Institute, Institute for Ethnic Studies, Institute of Oncology Ljubljana, New University / Nova Univerza (SAGE Premier 2023 collection (view the title list here).
This discount cannot be combined with any other, such as Society discounts, promotional discounts or prepaid order discounts. If the author is entitled to or claims multiple discounts, the highest single discount will be applied.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUTHORS
The APC waiver or discount is automatically applied as SAGE’s system will recognise an eligible corresponding author’s affiliation to eligible countries or institutions.
Publishing in fully open access (Gold) journals
For the APC waivers in fully open access (Gold) journals, the system applies the waiver once the author identifies themselves as affiliated to one of the eligible countries.
For authors from eligible institutions in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Slovenia that are eligible for a 20% discount, the system applies the discount once the author has selected their affiliated institution during the peer review process.
Once the paper has been accepted for publication, an author will receive an email with the with a subject line of ‘Complete the Open Access process for your article 10.XXXX/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX’
The link to this SAGE page will help authors to navigate through the SAGE platform when publishing in SAGE fully open access (Gold) journals (authors from waiver countries will see only Step 1-3): https://us.sagepub.com/en-us/nam/instructions-for-gold-open-access-authors
Publishing in SAGE Choice hybrid journals
For the authors from eligible institutions in Latvia, Lithuania and Slovenia that have signed the read & publish agreement, the system applies the waiver once the author has selected their affiliated institution during the peer review process.
After an author’s article has been accepted for publication, following the peer review process, the author will be contacted by the publisher to make their article open access where the article is eligible for an open access agreement.
The link to this SAGE page will help authors to navigate through the SAGE platform when publishing in SAGE Choice hybrid journals ( note you only have Steps 1-3 to complete; Step 4 (Assign Bill Payer) will not appear for you): https://us.sagepub.com/en-us/nam/instructions-for-hybrid-open-access-sag...
If the waiver or discount has not been applied, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and the SAGE team will investigate the issue.
How do I know the exact cost of the discounted APC?
You can check the full list price APC on each journal’s website. The title list (see the section 'Terms & Conditions') includes a URL for each journal. On the journal website, click on the link for “Submit Paper” and then “Article Processing Charges”. You will need to calculate a 20% discount.
In case you find a reduced APC price on the journal website (a promotional discount) which is higher than 20%, then you should use the promotional discount and not the EIFL discount.
WHERE ELSE CAN I PUBLISH IN OPEN ACCESS?
Click on your country below to get the list of all the journals that EIFL has negotiated open access publishing terms for. You can browse the list by subject, impact factor, and publisher.
Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Botswana, China, Congo, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Lithuania, Malawi, Maldives, Moldova, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, North Macedonia, Palestine, Senegal, Serbia, Slovenia, Sudan, Tanzania, Thailand, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Watch the recording from November 2021 of our webinar with SAGE, taking us through the workflow process for authors. Download the slides here.
- Take a look at our webinar on How to get published, presented by SAGE.